Thursday, August 27, 2009

District 9

I am not a fan of sci-fi movies, nevertheless, my brothers wanted to watch this one over Julie & Julia, which was my choice... Honestly, I could go without having seen this movie and I wouldn't miss out on anything but since I saw it already, there's really nothing much I could do about it except try not to think about the bad taste it left in my mouth.


The movie took a while to develop - I lost interest 10 minutes into it because of the documentary-like scenes that didn't really capture my attention. Add to the fact that the whole story centered on aliens living in our planet and the insane amount of gross and violent scenes, it really wasn't my type of movie up until it was almost over. Although I appreciated it ending the way it did.

Thinking about it afterwards, District 9 goes deeper than the usual sci-fi thrillers in that it opens our minds about segregation still existing in our world, desperation in poverty, division of classes, the corruption of power and the ruthless cruelty and uncompassionate human nature on the other side of the spectrum. This movie was an acquired taste, I liked the hint of satire but could really do without the guts and gore flying around in the screen while I'm eating my popcorn...

2 comments:

  1. "I liked the hint of satire but could really do without the guts and gore flying around in the screen while I'm eating my popcorn..."

    nicely said, i don't want bloody things also while i sip on my drinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to see this movie :)

    ReplyDelete