Thursday, June 25, 2009

4GB RAM Upgrade For Dummies

For the past couple of months or so I've noticed that my MacBook (that I got in November 2007) seemed to be a little sluggish. Honestly, I was getting a little annoyed constantly seeing the spinning beach ball of death whenever I had to open iPhoto (with almost 25,000 pictures) or edit movies so I decided to upgrade my memory which was only 1GB.

For a minor surgery like this you will need:
- compatible RAM (I bought 2 sticks with 2GB each)
- a screwdriver
- 10 minutes of your time
- and of course your computer
1.) Disconnect your computer from the power supply and shut down it down.
2.) Turn it upside-down and take out the battery.
3.) Ground yourself by touching a piece of metal before handling any of the computer parts to protect it from static electricity.
4.) Unscrew the metal covering of the RAM slots (this varies by what model of computer you have).
5.) When the RAM sockets are exposed, press the latches outward to dislodge the old memory...
6.) Take those out and put the new ones in. Make sure to only pinch the edges of the module and not touch the face or any circuitry...
7.) Reassemble your laptop, power it up and check if the new memory is recognized...
And it is! Mission accomplished :)

No comments:

Post a Comment