Tuesday, June 16, 2009

PhotoHunt: Lock

The pictures in my PhotoHunt contribution this week were taken almost two years ago in Ripley's Believe It Or Not! in New York City. I got my brother to model for me showing methods to lock people up in the olden times. 

First up is the pillory used in medieval times for torture and punishment by public humiliation. The prisoner locked here would be displayed in a public place and thus was subjected to scorn, insults, injury and abuse from the local people. They were also exposed to daily heat and/or cold and it was not uncommon for the offender to die by heat exhaustion or frostbite. I'm getting chills thinking about it.
This medieval iron mask is another torture instrument used to lock people up and starve them to death in the process... Very creepy indeed! Makes you wonder how people invented this stuff for the suffering of other people...

3 comments: